Scooter Troubleshooting Guide
Fuse Or Circuit
Breaker Keeps Blowing Out
Scooter May Have Been Overloaded
Most electric scooters are not designed for going
up long or steep hills, stop and go driving, driving with a
heavy load, or driving in sand, gravel, or soft dirt.
electric scooter can cause the fuse to burn-out, or the
circuit breaker to trip. Excessive fuse burning or circuit
breaker tripping caused by overloading may eventually cause
damage to the speed controller or motor by overheating them.
pads or shoes, due to faulty brake components or improper brake cable
tension adjustment, can also cause fuses to burn-out and
circuit breakers to trip.
Scooter May Have A Defective Electrical Component
Wiring short circuits and
defective electrical components such as overheated motors
and speed controllers can create an excessive power draw on
the electrical system and cause fuses to burn-out and
circuit breakers to trip.
Sight, Touch, And Smell
Remove the footplate or wiring cover and
look for any burned or melted wires, wire connectors, or
electrical components. Also look for loose, disconnected, or
wires or wire connectors. Pull and push on all of the individual
wires and wire connectors to make sure they are not loose or disconnected. Get
your nose close to the
speed controller and motor and smell them. Any components that look
burned or melted, or that smell like burned plastic are
defective and should be replaced. Motors that smell burned should be replaced to prevent damage to the speed
Inspect The Speed
Look for burned or melted wires or wire connectors on
the speed controller. If any wires are burned or melted then
the speed controller is most likely defective.
Smell the speed controller for any burned plastic or oil
smells. If the speed controller smells burned then it is
If the speed controller has no burns, melts, or smells then
it still may be defective. Test the other components of the
electrical system and use the process of elimination to see
if the speed controller is working properly or not.
Inspect The Motor
Look for burned or melted wires or wire connectors on the
motor. Burned or melted wires or wire connectors indicate
overheating of the motor which can cause the insulation to
melt off the motors copper wire windings.
Smell the motor for any
burned plastic smells. If the motor smells burned that
indicates that its coils have been overheated. Motors with
overheated coils should always be replaced to prevent damage
to the speed controller.
If the insulation melts off
the copper windings they will short circuit and cause the motor to
not run or to run slowly. Short circuited motor windings can also burn-out
the speed controller by giving it too much resistance which
makes it work too hard and overheat.